- 2 x rashers of Piggery-Smokery Streaky Bacon (any of them are good for this - try CCVincents' Call Up for a chilli hit) - may contain minute traces of Gluten – cut into really fine shreds.
- 2 x small red onions cut very fine
- Couple of handfuls of couscous
- 1 x good handfuls each of various fresh herbs: Tarragon, Parsley, mint and double amount of fresh coriander, some fresh fennel seeds, anything you got actually, it doesn't really matter.
- 100ml neutral oil - grapeseed
- 2 x fresh red chillis sliced thin.
- Handful of carefully de-shelled pistachios or almonds (make sure you have no shells in the nuts you'll hurt your teeth)
- Good handful of chopped rocket or spinach leaves, baby beetroots pretty cool too.
- Some lemon zest and lemon juice
This recipe will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Wash hands and dry thoroughly.
- Boil kettle of water and add to couscous til' it forms a thick sludge in a tub and leave for 10 minutes covered, fluffing occasionally with a fork. The water wil soak into the Bulgar wheat and sludge will turn to loose grains of Couscous
- Blend the herbs and fennel seeds in a blitzer with the 100ml oil.
- Fry off the red onion and bacon in a pan until crispy – remove from pan and store spread out on cold plate to cool to room temp.
- Use pan residual heat to toast the pistachios or almonds.
- Fluff up the couscous and blend in the herb paste. Add the other remaining ingredients and adjust with some good quality salt (Maldon). Serve cool to room temperature.